Chicago Bulls shooting guard Zach Lavine is one of the most electrifying players in all of basketball. With a highlight reel dunk package and an outside shot as deadly as anyone around, he is must see TV. Maturing into an all-around player for an up and coming team has collectors paying more attention to his rookie cards.
Voted Mr. Basketball in the state of Washington his senior year of High School, Lavine excelled for Bothell High School in Bothell, Washington. LaVine averaged over 28 points per game as a senior and was honored nationally as a Parade All American First Team selection.
This skywalking shooting guard was listed as the 12th overall shooting guard in his class and the 44th overall ranked player in the nation and decided to attend UCLA. He quickly made his mark in college basketball. He was voted to the Pac-12 All Freshman Team in 2013. After a single season as a Bruin, LaVine entered the NBA Draft and was selected number 13 overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
The multi-talented offensive weapon showcased his elite outside and mid range game as well as his highlight reel dunk arsenal from early on in the league.
LaVine became the second youngest player (after an 18 year old Kobe Bryant) to ever win the NBA Slam Dunk Contest when he took home the title at the 2015 NBA All-Star Weekend. He scored a repeat by capturing the Slam Dunk Contest title at the 2016 NBA All-Star weekend the following season. His performances in the dunk contest are some of the most legendary and memorable in the event’s history.
Not only is he a legend in slam dunk circles, LaVine has a very well-rounded game as his points per game average has increased each and every season over the course of his career and his three-point shooting could find him hoisting the golden basketball for that event on All Star weekend some day as well.
LaVine is still on the rise as are his Chicago Bulls now teaming up with Lonzo Ball, Alex Caruso and other young stars, the future in Chicago is as bright as the Navy Pier at night.
Below we have listed three tiers of long lasting LaVine rookie cards for your consideration.
NBA All-Star Tier
1. 2014-15 Panini National Treasures #112 Zach LaVine JSY AU/99 RC– The creme de la creme of Zach LaVine rookie issues, LaVine’s NT RPA boasts a large jersey swatch that pops with the Minnesota Timberwolves blue, black, silver and white. It also features an on card autograph and a number to 99. Hailing in the upper echelon of products, National Treasures is where it’s at for high-end collectors.
2. 2014-15 Immaculate Collection #119 Zach LaVine JSY AU RC– Yet another high-end jersey auto rookie card of the high flying guard. If you don’t want to shell out quite the amount of money for NT, Immaculate is a solid, often underrated option.
3.2014-15 Panini Gold Standard #219 Zach LaVine JSY AU/199 RC– The Gold Standard RPA numbered to 199 is a bit more plentiful and a bit more colorul, with a jersey and an on card autograph. This card won’t set you back nearly what the two cards listed above will but is nothing to sneeze at. Gold Standard offers a nice presentation and quality of card as they pull off the gold styling as well as any issue that tries.
Slam Dunk Champ Tier
1. 2014-15 Panini Spectra #110 Zach LaVine JSY AU RC– It’s rare that we have jersey autograph rookie cards of stars in our second tier on these lists but here we are. Spectra offers a shiny, flashy RPA of LaVine as he’s looking to drive to the hoop and throw down one of his signature monster dunks. The only drawback is the sticker autograph.
2. 2014-15 Panini Prizm #262 Zach LaVine RC– The flagship, go-to rookie card for the average collector finds itself on the second tier of our list this time around. This was a card that could have been had for a few dollars not that long ago now but you will have to pay up a little bit to get one. The image is one of a fresh faced LaVine, ball in hand staring intently at…something. There are various colors and parallels if you’re looking for a higher-end option without the true RC tag.
3. 2014-15 Select #84 Zach LaVine CON RC– Select falls in line just behind Prizm in our list of significance and price point. This product always offers a nice higher-end feel without lightening your wallet or pocketbook as much as the cards above it on this list would. You get the classic shine of Select and a somewhat busy design that they seem to pull off every time. This is one of only a few RCs that picture a rookie Zach in his white uniform. Add this one to your collection for only a few bucks while you can.
Mr Basketball Tier
1. 2014-15 Totally Certified #152 Zach LaVine RC– I’m not usually a huge fan of the super shiny, nearly gaudy silver cards but for whatever reason I enjoy this particular product. It works as it pictures a young LaVine going for a layup surrounded by silver foil.
2. 2014-15 Hoops #272 Zach LaVine RC-The Hoops brand stands forever is one of the classic lower end products in all of basketball. That not a bad thing, as Hoops become synonymous with basketball cards since the very late 1980’s. LaVine is pictured with what we can only assume just as he passed the ball between his legs ready to throw down and East Bay Funk Dunk ala Isaiah “Jr” Rider. Or is he in mid windmill dunk like a Dominique Wilkins signature slam? Either way, its a winner. The image pictured here is a bit of a precursor to what we’ve seen LaVine do on the court and in Slam Dunk contests over the years.
3. 2014-15 Donruss #221 Zach LaVine RC– Some of the early Donruss releases in basketball have caught fire and increased in value since the beginning of the pandemic. Despite strong population numbers, high grade examples of could still see considerable increase in value if he continues to perform on the court. This is a very nice bare bones base rookie card one of the great young stars in the game.
You can check out a live list of the 50 most watched Zach LaVine rookie card auctions on eBay below. Click here to see all of them currently for sale.
About Tony Reid
From the time he was a little kid, Tony has been a huge sports fan. If he could play sports, watch sports and talk about sports it was a great day. From as early as he was drawn to sports, Tony was drawn to collecting sports cards. Not much has changed over the years. He collects RCs of star players in baseball, basketball and football. He also has a soft spot for first autographs of MMA stars. If you want to talk to Tony about the greatness of Michael Jordan, Bo Jackson or Ken Griffey, Jr. you can reach him at @reidrattlecage on all social media platforms.